Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Coloring with Andy


Before becoming a Pop Art icon, during the 1950s Andy Warhol worked as a successful illustrator
in New York producing hundreds of drawings for advertising, record companies and fashion magazines. 
In 1961, right around the time of his first Campbell Soup paintings, the Edelman company commissioned 
Warhol to create a large format coloring book to give as a gift to its clients' children for Christmas. 
Andy drew a series of delightfully whimsical illustrations using his typical blotted line technique, 
which he claimed to have discovered accidentally when he spilled ink onto a sheet of paper 
and reproduced the stain motif by applying a second sheet onto it.









A Coloring Book was reprinted in 2007 by the French Editions Palette.



3 comments:

  1. Funny that - I almost included it today in my Colour for Kids post... I found a copy on etsy, don't know how old it is though.
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/32039993/andy-warhol-coloring-book

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never heard about or seen Andy's coloring book and I think it's just great,it looks so fresh,could have been made today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andy Warhol's coloring book has been on my to "write a post" list for a while now... I guess I am behind schedule :-) Well, if I ever do, i'll be lazy and link to this post ;-)
    Our copy dates back from 1990. It's the french version that was originally published by Gallimard. In 1991, a coloring contest was organized, the prize was the original exotic calf drawing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails